Saturday, April 12, 2008

TaDaaaaa!!!!!!!

We still have some skills to refine...riding on the sidewalk is still a work in progress, as is stopping the bike without the 'dive and roll' dismount.

Before, he was just terrified of the whole process. Now, he just needs a little help to get started, and then he's off riding around like it's no big thing. I figure we'll just keep practicing every chance we get, and he'll keep improving and getting more confident each time.

I'm pretty danged proud of my son. I wonder if he'll ever know just how my heart bursts with joy every time I hear him laugh out there as I watch him ride unassisted?

--------------------------------------------------

In other news, I've got another lacrosse game tomorrow...we're playing a tough team, but we've picked up a few new players that have kicked our talent level up a notch. My training this week was not quite as consistent as I'd like, but I think I'll be ready for the game.

Most of the time, we play to a crowd of about..lessee...carry the one...maybe 6 or 8 people. That includes fans for the opposing team, by the way. These folks are usually spouses of the players, or maybe a buddy or two who enjoy seeing their friends get knocked around.

I must be honest...I love when friends and family come out to watch me play. Not because I want them to see me being an awesome player on the field, though. I'm just not that good. Mostly it's because I love to laugh with them about my gaffs and goofs afterwards...of those, I have plenty. Sure, I occasionally score a goal or two, and maybe I make a decent hit on an opponent now and then, and hearing a "GO WHIT!!" cheer from the sidelines is really fabulous. But more often, I'm looking for a reason to laugh and say, "Hey, did you see that guy knock the crap out of me?"

When I play, I play as hard as I possibly can. I do everything I can to help my team win, every single time I step on the field...but losing doesn't really bother me. I compete as though I plan to win, as though I absolutely intend to win...but if we don't, I accept the outcome and just delight in the fact that I LOVE this game. I LOVE being able to play it, and I LOVE being able to share it with others, whether I was the "Most Valuable Player", or the 'Guy Who Got Knocked Down Most Often." It's all fun to me.

No comments: