Saturday, November 08, 2014

Another Year, Another Birthday!

I'm 45!  As of my birthday a week ago, I am now halfway to 90.  Not even CLOSE to being done.  I joke about being an old man, but although I'm a half-step slower here, maybe not quite as strong there, I'm feeling pretty danged spry, thank you very much.  I'm on the 120-Year Plan, so I intend to keep working out, eating right (more or less, anyway), and keeping a positive attitude.  45...wow.  In just a few short years, I'll be 50.  Cool.

It's been a big year for me, and it looks as though it'll end with a bang as well.  Just a few days ago, I signed a lease for Jade Mountain in a new, bigger, better location.  11 years ago, I had been teaching out of my garage, but we found a spot right off of I-10 near Mason Rd.  It was cheap because it was basically an attic for the store below, which was a Mattress Giant at the time.  Fortunately, the space had previously been a dance studio and also a martial arts school, so it was already laid out perfectly for what I wanted.  Since then, we've been rolling along, having a blast up there, but it's finally time to make a change.  We need a bigger space, a better space, a place that's easier to find!!!  After months of wrangling and financing, I finally put pen to paper a few days ago, and it is on like Donkey Kong.  The lease should be executed this week, then the builder will be put to work, and we'll eventually end up right next to the Alamo Drafthouse on Mason Road in a space big enough to have two classes going simultaneously.  I'll certainly miss the old Jade Mountain, but there are tons of good memories that will be coming with me, and a whole new adventure awaits at the new space.  

In other news, I've been working on Gart's Road (the second book in my fantasy trilogy) and thoroughly enjoying myself.  I've gotten to know other authors, had quite a few folks say nice things about Mage's Burden, and was recently mentioned on a radio show in Nevada!  My friends, students, and family have all been super supportive, and I've signed quite a few copies of MB for folks.  I often feel an odd sense of embarrassment when folks want me to sign one.  In my mind, I'm saying, "It's just little old me!  My signature's not worth anything!"  Yet I'm also quite honored.  I was fortunate enough to have a handful of my copies of various books signed by their authors, most notably, Dennis L. McKiernan, and I treasure those things.  Simply put, I think it's exceedingly cool to have them.  If I stretch my mind a bit, I can hope that maybe one day, others might think something similar when they open their copy of my book with my signature in it.  One day.  Maybe.  I'll just keep writing and see how it goes.

All in all, my 45th year has been pretty good so far.  I'll keep doing my thing and just take one step after another and see where the journey leads me.  I'm thinking it'll be fun!!

No comments: