Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Good, Bad, and Painful.

Well, interesting things happening here. I’ve been approached by a local business owner who runs an after-school pickup program and martial arts school that has a really nice location near my home. He’s interested in pulling out of that location, and it’s possible that I might be the one to take over. There’s at least one other instructor they are leaning towards for this project, so I won’t be crying if it’s not me, but it has been quite exciting to think about expanding the school and moving. I’ll keep you posted.

In other news, my dear old Dad may have had a minor stroke. Suddenly hit with acute dizziness, projectile vomiting, and the like, Mom took him to the ER. Once there, he lay on a gurney for a couple of hours before deciding that he’d had about enough of that. Tough old coot, that one. He’s home now, recuperating just fine. Last I heard, he was fixing the toilet or something.

You know, I realize that ER’s are busy places. I know that the doctors are often exhausted, and are doing their best to help everyone as best they can. My mom was an ER nurse for years, so I know a little something about it. However, I still get pissed when my 79 year old father has a stroke and no one can find the time to help him. I think the system should be changed somehow, but I admit to having little idea as to how to do it. I do know that it’s not a good idea to run a short-staffed ER with doctors running on no sleep. That’s always been a recipe for disaster. Anyway, he’s apparently OK, no thanks to the ER.

Played another lacrosse game on Sunday, and did fairly well defensively. The other team was a bunch of young, fast guns from Corpus Christi, and they liked to hit. Fine by me! I enjoyed getting in there and knocking them around here and there, but I should have focused on my offense a bit more. I was happy to block a shot early on in the game, although now I have a deep bruise on my thigh. Hey, at least that’s one shot that didn’t score!

I don’t know if I’ll make the next game, but I may try. I’ll be in Pharr for the weekend doing some training with Israel and our Sifu, Arthur D’Agostino. He leaves on Saturday night, so I may hustle home in time for the game on Sunday afternoon.

We just started our Assistant Instructor training program at JMMA, and I’ve been absolutely thrilled with the response. This will be the first time that I’ve gone away for training that all the classes will be held in my absence. Yay! Special thanks to those who have stepped up to become a bigger part of our school.

That’s about it. I’m thinking lunch should be happening about now. Later.

No comments: