Wednesday, July 04, 2007

The cards were evil, I tell you!!!

Happy 4th of July, everyone! I'm proud to be an American...just love it here. It's not perfect, but I feel extremely fortunate to be here, and I'm grateful to live in such a free society. Ok, that's what I have to say about that. :-)

It seems that I'm always working out while doing laundry. It takes our ancient dryer quite awhile to finish a load, so I generally have to wait around before I can switch things around. Apparently, this is prime workout time for me.

My agenda originally included a bunch of intervals on the track, but it's been raining for days, and I don't enjoy doing battle with mosquitos the size of rats, so I stayed indoors. Instead, I decided to try the Deck of Cards workout. Here's how it goes...

Each card requires a set of burpees (red cards) or a set of pushups (black cards), face cards count as 10, and aces count as 11. If you pull a 9 of hearts, then you're doing 9 burpees. Ace of spades, and it's 11 pushups. The goal is to get through the deck as fast as possible. My goal for today was to survive the entire deck without killing myself. I cleared a space among the piles of laundry, placed the cards close by and got to work.

I now hate the cards. All of them. They all suck, and I should just set them all on fire. But I won't...I don't want them to think that they've beaten me.

I completed the entire workout, yes I did. And now, I'm slack-jawed with exhaustion. See, when I started, I didn't realize that I was about to do 190 burpees and 190 pushups in all.

In other news, my darling wife will be moving home soon! She's nearing the end of her Project Boot Camp (and she misses us greatly), and should be returning home by the end of the week. This is good news, because I've been missing her as well, and so has the Monkey. She's made great progress in her quest to improve her health and fitness, and we plan to continue supporting her training once she returns home.

And that's about all I have the strength to type for now. Enjoy the holiday!

No comments: