Sunday, July 15, 2007

Flip that House, Plano, and Fun with Burpees

It's Sunday night, and my darling wife is on an overnight babysitting gig for a friend. She just returned a week ago from her 'Project Boot Camp', and just as I'd gotten used to having her around again, she's gone. (SIGH) Ah, well. Her absence has left me with some time on my hands tonight...what to do, what to do?

Our home has basically been somewhat shabby ever since we moved in. It was simple to start with, and we kept it that way, except that we managed to fill every nook and cranny with STUFF. Some of it is important stuff, and lots of it is actually junk. The problem is that it takes a moment or two of examination of each item to determine which is which, and we just haven't made the time to do that.

Since my darling wife has been away, she's been watching Flip That House, a show that depicts folks who buy a run-down home, then rapidly fix it up, and sell it for a profit. I know...it sounds way easier than it actually is. She's not interested in flipping houses, but she IS interested in watching all the renovations that turn formerly shabby houses into fabulous little homes. And so our home's shabby days appear to be numbered. She's fired up, and ready to get started with some big changes just as soon as her paycheck starts coming in.

Since she's gone for tonight, I decided to start straightening up the garage. The garage used to be kept extremely clean, because I taught all of my students in there. No laundry all over the floor, no junk, no boxes, no (exactly what is that thing?) in the corner. However, the day I opened my school, I recall chucking my first piece of junk into the garage with the intention of 'taking care of it later'. My friends, later is here!

I figure I'll get the whole thing cleaned out and ready for whatever my wife has planned by around...say...November. Rome wasn't built in a day, and it'll take far longer than that to tame the whole house. I'll keep you posted.

In other news, a couple of my students are competing this weekend at the Taiji Legacy tournament in Plano. I'm really looking forward to it for many reasons, one of which is that I get to spend the weekend with my dear friend Brian. There will probably be pho and Tex-Mex somewhere along the way, so I'm thrilled.

One last comment...it rained again today, so I decided not to do my interval sprints outdoors, and opted for the 100 Burpee Challenge as a replacement. My first go at the 100 B's took me 7 minutes 20 seconds a couple of weeks ago. The next time, I must have been inspired, 'cause it only took me 6 minutes and 20 seconds. Today, I just didn't bring my A-game...7 minutes and 9 seconds. Dang. That's OK, I'll do it again soon.

Oh, did I mention that we now have tires and a sledgehammer at my school? Great for stress relief, I tell you!

No comments: