Thursday, February 22, 2007

300 Spartans and Colon Blow

Ah, beautiful weather again! Spring has apparently arrived, bringing pretty, blooming flowers, the chirping of birds in the air, beautiful blue skies…and loads of horse pucky. I had decided to go run some sprints this morning at my usual park, but when I got there, I noticed that there were tons of horse trailers parked in every possible spot. I didn’t see any horses, but I did notice that the road that runs down the middle of the park (which is usually an asphalt black color) had taken on a very decidedly brownish tint. And it smelled. I turned around and left immediately, trying to stay upwind of the gathering as I went. I’ve been told that the trailride is planned for this weekend, and I have apparently discovered it’s starting line.

So what else is new? Well, we’ve been enjoying a combination of frosted mini-wheats and raisin bran in the mornings. And let me tell you, that stuff should just be nicknamed ‘Colon Blow’. Wow. My pipes have never been so clean. Our little Monkey has been taking piano lessons from our lovely sis-in-law, and has been doing fairly well. When he’s not climbing the walls, that is.

My darling wife has been sick, I’m sad to say. This past weekend was a bit of a mess. She rallied on Saturday afternoon enough for us all to go see Bridge to Terabithia after my lacrosse game that day, but it was downhill from there. Poor thing spent Sunday on the couch, wrapped up in a blanket. No sleep was had by anyone that night, so Monday was a haze of sleep-deprived grogginess and crankiness. She is feeling better now, and I’m extremely grateful to Dr. A. for helping her out. Things are much happier in the household at this point.

Workouts have been going well. Taiji, kung fu, strength training, all going just fine, thanks. I’ve decided that King Leonidas’ abs would look much better on me, so I’m working daily on that little project. I’ve gotta say, I can hardly wait for the movie 300 to come out. If the trailers are any indication, this movie looks like an awesome, testosterone-filled action flick, and I am just counting the days until it hits the theatres. I mean what kind of stones do you have to have to not only fight a quarter-million angry Persians to the death, but to then inspire your 299 buddies to face them with you! Du-u-u-de. That’s a tough bunch of guys right there, and one kick-ass king. “OK, boys…yeah, they outnumber us, but if we divide it up, each of us has only got eight hundred and thirty-three Persians to kill. And wound one more for good measure. Let’s get to work!” My understanding is that, although the Spartans were killed to a man, they did so much damage to the Persian army that they had to pack up and go home. Whoa. That’s an ass-whupping of monumental proportions right there. Go Spartans! I’m sure that quite a bit of artistic license was taken, but the essentials of a free people fighting against an encroaching autocracy are still there. And I’m all about that kind of thing. I’d much prefer dying on my feet to living on my knees.

No comments: