Monday, February 12, 2007

Weekend update

Man, I’m really digging this mp3 player! After culling some annoying songs from my playlist, I’m finally rocking and rolling when I’m running, doing pushups, weights, even when I do taiji. Chen taiji done to Prodigy is quite an interesting experience! I even wear it when I do housework…makes the chores go by faster, that’s for sure.

My good friend Larry came up for a Stick Fighting seminar this weekend, and we always end up having fun, and getting very little ‘work’ done. We did discuss some updates for the website over lunch, but that’s about it. That doesn’t really matter though, ‘cause we had a kick-ass seminar on Saturday! Attacks and blocks with the single stick, as well as some trapping, self-defense, and even a few nasty takedowns. ‘Twas way cool.

On Sunday, I had another lacrosse game, this time against last year’s league champs. They won. Go figure. The good news is that I felt pretty good…I ran well, appeared to be in the right place at more or less the right time, and didn’t have any massive mistakes. The bad news was that I’m in the process of breaking in a couple of new sticks, and my aim is a bit shaky. And I got totally run over by some big dude from the other team. We were fighting for a ground ball and I managed to look up to see a huge number headed my way. I didn’t even have time to register exactly what number it was…I recall taking an instant inventory of my situation and realizing that I was off balance and about to go for a ride…OOF…I hit the ground, rolled, and came up laughing. Whew! No injuries! Just a well-timed hit. Good job, whoever you were.

I had decided to take Connor with me again, but I was disappointed to see that he wasn’t nearly as interested in the game this time, so I had to split my attention between the game and making sure that he wasn’t neck-deep in the nearest ditch. Still, he’s a great kid…if a bit on the noisy side. I enjoy spending the time with him…he does come up with some interesting topics of conversation.

Today, it’s back to business as usual. I made some calls, chatted with my buddy Paul for awhile. Then it was off to the Y for a change of scenery and a workout. It’s raining today, so I passed on my usual run, forms practice, and run. I hit the treadmill and did a couple of miles with intervals at a pace that felt a bit faster than I’m used to. I worked on some taiji for awhile, but then the gym I was using was opened up for a class. I tried finishing up my taiji in another gym, but the ‘after school kids’ were in there, and balls of all types were flying everywhere. Not good for taiji.

I finished up by hitting a round of pushups, divebomber pushups, crunches, v-tucks, pull-ups, and medicine ball situps. Happily, I’m feeling rather drained. I’m going to make a sandwich, doze on the couch, then finish my housework before heading back to the school for the evening’s classes.

It’s not really that exciting. But I dig it! Oh, and congratulations to my buddy BB for passing his most recent Krav Maga test! Those things are grueling affairs, I hear. He’s apparently quite sore. So if you get the chance, poke him and see if he yelps.

No comments: