Monday, August 27, 2007

mice, kindergarten, Randy Couture, and blind bowling.

Finally....I ordered a new mouse. Not the kind that eat cheese (although my old mouse did somehow manage to chew up a few files here and there), but an optical mouse that lights up in red and blue while I work. Oooooh....aaaaah....it's way cool. My old one had a habit of totally wigging out on me every so often, clicking, double-clicking, and triple-clicking all over the screen, closing programs, opening programs, and generally being a huge pain in my butt. That's all over now, and I'm digging the new mouse.

It's the first day of school for both Connor and Christina. She's been busting her tail with 18-hour days all last week to prepare her room for today, and it appears to have paid off. She's stepped into her role as the lead teacher in her school's biggest classroom, and is doing wonderfully.

I just picked Connor up from his first day of kindergarten at a nearby elementary school...he appears to have had a blast. He's still wearing the same clothes that he had on this morning, and he still has his backpack, and both shoes. So far, so good. We're talking about having him ride the bus to save me an hour of waiting in line to pick him up, but honestly, I don't mind...the wait gives me time to make calls that I seldom have time to make.

Randy Couture...that's one tough old man. On Saturday night, he kicked the crap out of an opponent 16 years younger than he. Gabe Gonzaga is no joke (although he does closely resemble a large monkey), and after watching him knock the crap out of CroCop, I was concerned for Randy's life. But it turned out just fine, and Randy whupped Gonzaga. Go Randy!

Speaking of old men, I just spoke to my tough-as-nails father. The man's nearly 80, half-blind, one-handed, and has no butt at all (I got mine from Mom's side of the family...thanks, I think). However, until recently, he still kicked everyone's tail at just about everything. Golf, tennis, bowling, whatever. Since his eyesight isn't what it once was, he hasn't competed much lately, but Mom mentioned that I should ask him about their recent bowling outing.

"Bowling? But...Dad can't see worth crap!"
"I know...just ask him."

Fine. I called today, and here's the story:

"I heard you went bowling last week...how'd that go?"
"Well, you know I can't see the arrows on the lane anymore...but I still beat everybody. I never looked at the pins, noways."

Dad also mentioned that he had tried to let my brother borrow his bowling ball...but Dad's was too heavy. Go figure.

If I'm half as tough as that old bastard when I'm that old, I'll be doing just fine.

No comments: