Thursday, September 06, 2007

Tournament, new couches.

We're all fired up for the upcoming AAU Chinese Kung Fu tournament this weekend! A big crew from JMMA will be heading out there for a ton of sparring, pushhands, and some Shuai Chiao. What's that, you ask? Shuai Chiao is a style of Kung Fu that incorporates a lot of throwing techniques. Many skills are similar to those in Judo, but other throws are unique to the style. I've seen a few SC competitions in the past, and they looked like fun, so we're planning to participate this time around using the rudimentary throws and counters we've picked up along the way (thanks Paul!).

And it really is a big crew! Let's see...Shaun, Mark, Kevin, Beth, Eric, Leonard, Charlie, George, JP, Jorge, Jonathan, myself...I know I'm leaving someone out, but that's a great start! We're planning to enjoy ourselves, win, lose, or draw, and have fun with the whole experience. Look out, Austin, here we come! And yes, we'll be doing our best to keep Mr. Lawler from racing down the street wearing nothing but his lime-green thong of victory.

In other news, we finally got new furniture! After over 5 years with no furniture to speak of, we finally headed out to Gallery Furniture in Houston to see what they had. We got a 100% leather sofa, loveseat, chair, and a huge Ottoman. The set wasn't the cheapest, and it wasn't the most pricey, but it was PERFECT for us! And we're just thrilled to be able to sit comfortably for a change. I discovered that I can fall asleep in the chair in at least 5 different positions, and I haven't even really tested the sofa or loveseat yet. I have some time before classes today...I think I'll try the sofa.

That's it for now. I know, it's nothing terribly witty this time...no amusing stories, no odd commentary...but I just got in from running my sprints, and I'm pooped, so I'll do better next time. Have a fabulous Thursday!

No comments: