Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Almost Time to Head Out.

Dad's funeral will be held in a tiny cemetary in Northeast Texas in a little over 14 hours. We'll crash tonight, pack up early in the morning, and head out. We're planning to go to Greenville first so that Christina and Monkey can see Dad in the funeral home before we go to the actual gravesite ceremony...they wanted some time to say goodbye to Dad before things get started.

Today was a much better day for me. Yesterday was harder, but I think I'm getting my feet under me again, and the funeral will serve to close this chapter somewhat. Dad's influence will never go away, and neither will the lessons that he's taught me over the years. Sometimes, he taught by actually "teaching" me something, with words and gestures, and a straightforward lesson of some kind. Other times, he taught by example, even when he had no idea that I was watching. Either way, those lessons stuck. Thanks, Dad.

My Mom and brother are on their way, and should arrive in Texas late tonight. I hope they can get some rest before tomorrow. They are bringing a couple of very important items for me: keys to the scooter, and a special bedpan. Selfishly speaking, I'm glad they remembered.

It'll be good to see the family, gathered as they will be for Dad's service. We'll all be united in our sadness at the loss of him, as well as in our moments of laughter as we remember the brave, and sometimes ridiculous things he often did. I've got another blog started where I plan to chronicle many of his stories and adventures, and his general "Dadness" as possible. More on that later.

For now, we're off to bed. I'll write something after the funeral, and if I don't have at least one new funny story, feel free to slap me around. Take care, everyone. And go hug someone you love.

No comments: