Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me!!

I'm now 39 years old. Ta daaaaa! It's been a pretty good day. There have been cards, Myspace and Facebook B-day wishes, phone calls, and a showering of gifts from my beloved wife and son. We ate lunch at my favorite noodle house, I had a little nap this afternoon, and life is pretty darned good.

Usually, I get very introspective around my birthday, thinking about my life and how I've been living it, how I want to live it in the future. Today seems different, though. After going through everything with my Dad this past month, it feels like I've already looked inwards and made that yearly assessment. I have my goals, my plans, my dreams. I know who I am and what I stand for. I have my feet beneath me, and I'm standing strongly, supported by my own strength, and that of my friends and family.

So today was kind of a goofy, do-whatever-I-want kind of day for me. It's kind of refreshing, actually. I've read an entire Robert B. Parker book this evening, just because I wanted to. I've scared the bejeebers out of a few shrieky teenagers when they came to the door to Trick-Or-Treat. And I'm blogging just because I feel like it. My friends, I'm feeling very, very happy to simply BE...I'm relaxed, and enjoying each moment.

I will make one introspective comment, though. I'm 39 today. My father married my mother when he was 40. It seems to me that there's a whole lot of living that can be packed into 40 years, no matter how old you are when you start...Dad proved that. So rather than lamenting the loss of my youth, I'm looking forward to all the fun stuff I've got coming my way!

Happy Halloween, folks. Go do something fun!

No comments: