Thursday, October 09, 2008

There's Just Not Enough "Thank You"

I'm home. I spoke to my Mom this morning, and she told me that Dad's 'happy as a lark', now that some of his family has come up to see him. Joann, Paula, Buddy, and Sissy all hopped a train from Dallas to Chicago and then rented a car to get to Elkhart, and he's been thrilled to have them around.

"Y'all sure took your sweet time gettin' here!" he reportedly said, laughing, when they showed up.

Dad's perked up a bit, and I'm glad. I don't know if he's managed to eat or drink anything other than his 'little Cokes', but the main thing is that he's happy and comfortable at home.

I had a big emotional moment on the plane that I think is worth sharing, but I'll save that for another post. What I want to do now is thank the folks who kept Jade Mountain rolling for me while I was away.

I came in last night, worn out, and planning to visit my school for just a short while, just to touch base and then get home so I could finally get some sleep. As soon as I entered the doorway, I noticed that there was a large pile of stuff underneath the stairs, covered with a canvas. Then, as I climbed the stairs, I noticed that the official school plant was on the landing, and that the window decorations had been changed, making that area much more inviting.

Folks, when I walked in, I had no idea that my SWAT (Sifu Whit's Apprentice Trainees, as they now call themselves) had spent hours redecorating the school while I was gone. It's now much more open, clean, efficient, and fabulous. Old equipment that I had planned to 'someday' sell had been hauled out and placed in storage. Walls had been redecorated. The bathroom had been redecorated. And the storage room had been converted into a SWAT changing room and office.

Wow.

Had I not been worn out, I'd have been crying in front of everyone. As it was, it was a close thing, and I spent much of the time wiping my eyes and sniffling as I strolled around, taking in the 'new' Jade Mountain. They had worked their tails off to do this, all without my knowledge, and just because they wanted to give something back to me, their teacher, and to the school that they have come to cherish.

I was humbled, honored, and deeply touched. I can't thank them enough...I just can't. I've always felt that without devoted students, being a Sifu is kind of useless, worthless. I could have the world's accumulated knowledge of martial arts, but without someone to take it from me, it would just sit there, in my mind and body, with no purpose. My team has made me feel like the greatest Sifu alive. I suppose I can only thank them day by day, skill by skill, and lesson by lesson, for they deserve the very best I can possibly give them. And dinner...I'm taking them all out to dinner.

There isn't enough "Thank you" in the world to express my gratitude towards these fine folks, so I'll try and pile it all into one:

"Thank you all, from the bottom of my heart."


(from left)Bill Landry, Kevin Hall, Renee Bracamonte, Misty Hanson, Sifu Whit, Amy Jones, Terry Thurman, Mark Dong, and Shaun Lawler (not shown)

No comments: