Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Substitutes? Who Needs Substitutes? We are IRON MEN!!

Lacrosse season's almost over. We had a fun game against Metro last weekend, even though we played Iron Man again. Thanks to Metro for letting us borrow one of their guys later in the game, who scored his first goal that day. Our guys did a much better job of moving the ball around, playing smart, and not getting completely exhausted in the first half, so we were generally pleased, in spite of the loss.

You know, I love this game. It's not as popular a game around here as football, or baseball, yes, I know that. But I love it. It requires skill, teamwork, and athleticism, and it's a rough sport. Can't get enough of it.

I'll be 40 this year. I'm not quite as fast as I was when I was 20, this is true. Stuff hurts for a bit longer after each game. But that doesn't matter...I'm planning to play this game until they won't let me on the field anymore.

Although our small turnout has been a bit disappointing, we'll play any team they put in front of us. We are Bayou City, the Big Green, and we're not backing down from anyone. And I don't care how many players show up...I'll play shorthanded if necessary...just so I can play.

Our fabulous Green Goalie sent out an email this morning, trying to get more of our players to carve out a bit of time next Saturday and come out to play. It unexpectedly moved me, and he said I could reprint it here:

Just wanted to say I had a ton of fun against Metro.
I think I got hit in the head 3 times but I can only remember two.
I got hit a bunch which at least means I was not ducking.
I missed the game before so I was psyched to be playing.
I really love playing.
Think about it. One day we ain't gonna play no more and that's gonna suck.
One day our bodies will forsake us.
Our sticks will hang dusty in some attic corner.
We will tell our stories to people that weren't there and don't care.
And we will never know the joy of the fight on a clear spring day in the cherished company of our teammates ever again.
And we will wish we could play just one more time.



Thanks for sending this one out, Tom. Now, I'm even going to show up early for that game.

No comments: