Saturday, June 21, 2014

Creeeeepy movies, writing, and other things.

I have the house to myself for a change, and when this happens, I occasionally enjoy a good creepy movie.  Oh, I've loved horror books and films since I was a kid, though my tastes have evolved over the years.  Although I can still watch some of the old slasher film classics (Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street), I don't go in for body count movies anymore.  Creepy ghosts and demons, though?  I'm all over that stuff.  Watching well-done scary movies like that fire up my imagination and make me want to write!  I'm currently watching The Conjuring, and loving it...SUPER creepy without a lot of blood, gore, or teenagers being slashed left and right.

I may try my hand at writing some creepy stories here and there.  I do have one started that is specifically a ghost story, but when writing it, it feels more like a thriller than a scary one, even though there are ghosts in it.  No, when I watch stuff like this movie, it makes me want to write something reeeeeally scary!  It might be fun, even just as an exercise.  It might stink, of course, but it might not.

I do have several stories on my laptop at the moment, most of which I started years ago.  I go back and read them every so often to see if anything shows up on my internal movie screen that makes me want to dig back into them again.  The ghost story was started long enough ago that I'll have to totally rework it to make it more modern.  Cellphones weren't nearly as omnipresent back then as they are now, for instance.

Let's see...I have a werewolf story.  There's a story on witch hunters back in the Salem days, but it's more of a Hugh Jackman-Van Helsing kind of thing, and the witches are the good guys.  The aforementioned ghost story has the most potential, I think.  I have something I call the GrimFaerie tale.  I have another fantasy story about a young man who leaves an Academy of Mages because he feels that there's something out there beyond the intricate gestures and long-winded, strictly-pronounced incantations that are necessary to perform magick in that world.  That one's fun, I used to tell Connor bits of it as bedtime stories. 

Yes, I'm aware that most (if not all) of the things I write have supernatural or fantasy elements in them.  Well, I like that stuff, so that's what I'm going to write.  I just can't see myself writing a plain old dramatic story with no swords, monsters, dragons, ghosts, demons, or other such things.  Writing is a hobby for me, and hobbies are supposed to be fun!

It's getting late, and I'll be turning in soon.  I'm usually up much later, but I rolled with some pretty strong folks in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu class today, and the bed is sounding mighty wonderful right about now.  Just in case you might have missed it, and are just DYING to read my book, here's where you can get it. 

Mage's Burden...c'mon, you know you want to check it out.

No comments: