Friday, January 05, 2007

Running, the Tooth Faerie, and the Trials of Windows

Ouch! Wow, my calves are sore! You see, I figured that since the Half-Marathon is only 9 days away, I should get out and run more often. And my calves are feeling it! The good news is that my asthma is apparently in check. No problems there (thanks Chris!!), so I don’t have to wear myself out just trying to breathe. Since my legs are generally pretty strong after years of martial arts, I can run fairly well, if not terribly fast. My calves are hurting because I generally run on the balls of my feet, rather than heel-toe, as I should. It’s a holdover from playing lacrosse, and I just never felt that comfortable running heel-toe until I actually get to the Half-Marathon. Somewhere around mile 5, I end up running heel-toe whether I like it or not! In any event, I ran around 3.5 miles yesterday with no trouble whatsoever, so I should survive the race next weekend. I don’t think that Nicodemus Malakwen, Brian Sell, and Jason Hartmann have anything to worry about this year…I’ll not be fighting them for the win. They run about twice as fast as I do.

In other news, I’ve decided to allow my assistant instructor, Sihing Shaun Lawler, to take over some classes for me a couple of times a week. That will allow him some teaching opportunities, a chance for me to do some other work, and give the students a chance of pace. Everybody wins! I can see Mr. Lawler running his own school one of these days, in spite of his inability to pick a winner in the UFC.

And our Monkey has lost his first tooth. Man, he’s cute with that gap in his lower teeth! He mentioned that it was ‘short’. So I took a look, and noticed that it wasn’t short…it was wiggling! So we discussed the idea of his tooth coming out, and mentioned the possibility of the Tooth Faerie. He was down with all that, and kept gently wiggling his tooth. It came out a day or so later, and everyone was thrilled. However, I must admit to a certain amount of sniffling and discussing how our little boy is growing up too fast…I mean, he loses his first tooth one day, and the next, he’s applying for college. Too fast. He was nothing more than a 4 pound baby just yesterday, right? Where did the last 5 years go??

By the way, did you know that you should be careful when buying software? I mean, if you go to a local electronics store and by Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade, and your machine has Windows 2000 Pro on it, you’re going to be out of luck when you try and return the XP because it doesn’t work. Go figure. Like they thought I’d copied the software or something just because I opened it already. Geez. However, the Larryman has offered to help me get my system up and running. You’re a saint, my friend. How does that sound…Saint Larry?

Today’s a rainy, cold Friday, and I’m tempted to take a short nap on the couch. I mean, it’s only 8:30am, the dishes are already done, there’s laundry thumping around in the dryer, and I don’t have anywhere to be until this afternoon, so why not? I’ve got plenty of time for my Friday workout. So a-napping, I think I’ll go. See ya.

No comments: