Sunday, March 08, 2009

Success! Lacrosse hits and decent knees.

Many of you know that my knee has been a bit gimpy this past month or so. There was no single injury to which I could point and say, 'Oh, yeah, THAT's what hurt my knee!' Most likely, it was simply a cumulative thing that finally showed up. Squats have been out of the question for weeks, and I haven't been able to do nearly as much running and conditioning as I'd like...frustrating, to say the least. However, I decided to play it smart for once, and let the knee rest so that it would have a chance to heal.

This past week, I've noticed big improvements every day, and I decided to try the knee out at todays lacrosse game. I had already planned to pay very close attention to it during the game, and if it felt wonky at all at any time, I'd just step off the field and call it a day.

I'm thrilled to say that, not only did the knee function perfectly well, but I actually played a decent game this time around! I didn't score at all, but I won a couple of faceoffs, blocked one shot with my thigh (OK, that really hurt), and managed to put two of the opposing players out of the game with perfectly legal hits. They both came back to play later, and I was pretty concerned about them, but they were both fine...just had the wind knocked out of them by yours truly.

Now for the other side of that coin, I'd like to mention that my first hit of the game was actually done to me, rather than by me. Didn't even see the guy. I caught a pass, dodged the guy playing defense on me and shot at the goal...and BAM!!! Friends, that guy hit me so hard that I rolled backwards and ended up standing on my feet again. No kidding. After a quick systems check, I was thrilled to find that nothing was injured, so I just went back to playing. Yay for me! Of course, my shot had gone nowhere near the goal. Such is life.

So we're all home now, resting. My wife is snoring quietly on the couch, Connor is playing computer games in his room, and I'm thinking that the idea of dinner is getting more and more interesting by the minute...guess I'd better get up and find something to eat.

No comments: