Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Lots of Stuff...

Wow, I was rereading some of my old posts, and noticed that I used to write pretty long, involved entries. I wondered why I haven't done that so much lately, and then I figured it was because things have gotten more and more busy in pretty much all areas of my life...not as much time left over for blogging. So today, I plan to comment on several topics. Just because I can.

I'm currently sitting at Jade Mountain, enjoying the newly-enabled internet access up here. It's so great to be able to check my email, make equipment orders, and do other stuff while I'm here instead of having to wait until I get home. Larry is teaching a Krav Maga class in the other room, and they've got the music thumping...I'm planning to go in and work out on my own in a bit.

Larry's finally teaching here, and I couldn't be happier. We've been friends forever, and I've always respected him as a martial artist, businessman, and as a person. We have big plans for this place, and I'm looking forward to seeing the results of our combined efforts. We'd like to eventually move to a bigger facility, with two training rooms, locker rooms, and a nicer lobby. It'll be fantastic to have two classes going at the same time! And higher ceilings will be a huge relief.

On the home front, we've discovered that my Dad (in the hospital for pneumonia) also has a staph infection in his blood. They've adjusted his medication to compensate, and his prognosis is looking good. In an attempt to lift his spirits, Mom even managed to smuggle his dog, Ricco, in to see him. I'm not really sure how she pulled that off, but it doesn't surprise me in the least. That's just how she rolls.

Lately, I've been thinking of cataloging my Dad's funny stories somewhere. Although he's probably the toughest old coot I've ever met, I know that he won't be here forever, so I figure I should get to work on that kind of thing while he's still around to correct any mistakes I might make. (i.e. "No, it was a mullet that jumped up and hit me in the belly while I was waterskiing, not a perch.") He's got an awful lot of stories, and I know I haven't nearly heard them all, but I think it's time for that project to get going. I may devote a separate blog to that project...I'll keep you posted.

--------------------------------

I was mightily saddened to hear that one of our instructors has had his home mightily damaged during Hurricane Ike. Mr. Shaun Lawler apparently had his ceilings collapse during the storm due to water damage. I'm pretty sure that means that his roof didn't make it. We're all waiting to know what we can do to help, and I'm really glad to find that many of our students are ready and willing to pitch in. Hopefully, we can help him and his family recover from this crisis.

--------------------------------

Getting ready to head to Waxahachie next weekend for an Eddie Bravo jiu jitsu seminar...I've met Eddie only once, and really enjoyed his techniques and teaching style. Several of us are going, and it should be a ton of fun.

--------------------------------

Well, it's time for me to head in and start my training for the day. It's going to be ugly, I'm pretty sure. Wish me luck!

No comments: