Sunday, June 29, 2008

About this Crying...

When I was a younger man, I never thought I could be moved to tears. It wasn't that I was such a tough guy...my emotions just didn't seem to work that way. I certainly didn't understand how a person could cry for joy, or because they were inspired somehow. Even the untimely and tragic passing of my first wife only brought me to tears twice, even though the pain I felt was bone-deep.

But as I said, I was a younger man back then. I'm nearly 40 now, and I've experienced not only tragedy, but unbridled joy. I've felt the thrill of goals met, and the disappointment of failed attempts. I've spent over a decade with my soulmate, and most of that as a devoted father. And so I've slowly entered the world of manhood and established my place in it...and now I cry all the friggin' time.

Apparently comfortable with the expression of such emotions, I cry at movies, tv shows, and commercials. I cry when I'm reading books,and when I'm relating events that are particularly meaningful to me. I cry when I read of an athlete that overcomes overwhelming odds to reach the Olympic podium. And I cry when I watch So You Think You Can Dance. So sue me.

I never expected to enjoy watching dance performances. I never really had paid attention to that sort of thing before, I suppose, but we started watching So You Think You Can Dance when it first came on, and I've been hooked ever since. I've learned a little bit about dance since I started watching the show. I enjoy the ballroom numbers and the hiphop dances as well. The Waltz isn't my favorite, but I enjoy it if it's done well. My favorites are the contemporary and lyrical pieces, and that's where the crying comes in. Sometimes, a performance will reach me on a deep and emotional level, and I find myself crying at the beauty unfolding before my eyes. Wow.

One number that never fails to move me is this one from last season. It was choreographed by Mia Michaels, and I have absolutely no clue what it's supposed to mean, or what story it's trying to tell, but something in it ALWAYS moves me.



If anyone has any idea what Mia was trying to express here, please feel free to enlighten me.

And here's a dance routine that moves me on a completely different level. It's H-O-T. Hubba hubba!!



And with that, I bid you good day. And I hope that you are inspired, touched, or moved to tears sometime soon.

No comments: